Eurodoc Conference 2018: Research career – a living dream?
University of Tampere (UTA), Finland: April 18–21, 2018
Street address: Kanslerinrinne 1.
Conference livestream on YouTube
You can also follow us on social media: #Eurodoc2018 #researchcareer #livingdream
Please note that the schedule is according to Finnish time, i.e. CET + 1 hour.
Wednesday April 18, Pinni B 1100
9.30 – 10.00 Registration
10.00 – 10.15 Opening of the conference, welcoming words by FUURT (Miia Ijäs), UTA (Rector Liisa Laakso) and Eurodoc (President Gareth O’Neill)
10.15 – 12.00 Session I: Policy making and the current situation of ECRs (4 presenters)
- Lotta Alhonnoro & Tommi Kokkonen, FUURT: 2017 Survey on ECRs’ situation in Finland
- Fabienne Gautier, DG Research and Innovation, European Commission: Modern universities: embracing Open Science, challenges and perspectives.
- Stephan Kuster, Science Europe: Early career support in a changing research environment.
- Chair: Liisa Laakso, Rector of UTA
12.00 – 12.30 Coffee break
12.30 – 14.00 Session II: Developing doctoral training in Europe (3 presenters)
- Alexander Hasgall, EUA-CDE: Doctoral training in Europe today. What are the key challenges?
- Ewelina Pabjańczyk-Wlazło & Michał Gajda, National Association of Doctoral Candidates, Poland: The Constitution for science – systemic change in science and higher education in Poland
- Pirjo Nikander, UTA Doctoral school: Purpose, Vision and Visibility. Toward Nordic Excellence in Doctoral Training.
- Chair: Eva Hnatkova, Eurodoc
14.00 – 15.00 Lunch
15.00 – 17.00 Session III: Career development and ECRs’ working conditions (4 presenters)
- Giovanna Avellis, ITWIIN, MCAA/MFCA: International mobility and gender equality to boost women’s research career
- Inge van der Weijden, CWTS, Uni. of Leiden: Academic working conditions and mental health of early career researchers
- Henri Virtanen, Mela: Mela-security for grant recipients
- Chair: Filomena Parada, ABIC/Eurodoc
19.30 Evening reception at the Tampere City Hall (Raatihuone, Keskustori 10), sponsored by the City of Tampere (for all conference participants, registration required!)
Thursday April 19, Pinni B 1100
9.30 – 11.30 Session IV: Careers, labor market and mobility (4 presenters)
- Hannele Lahtinen, Academy of Finland, ERC national contact: Boosting research career with ERC funding
- Charlotte Weber, Eurodoc Doctoral training WG, Uni. of Tromsø: Identifying transferable skills to enhance Early Career Researchers employability
- Kirsi Korhonen, EURAXESS Finland: Research Careers and Global Mobility – How EURAXESS can help you
- Falko Döring, EIT Alumni: From a PhD to your own company — a dream journey?
- Chair: Rolle Alho, Tohtoriverkosto, Uni. of Helsinki
11.30 – 12.00 Coffee break
12.00 – 14.00 Session V: Researchers and society (4 presenters)
- Rosarii Griffin, ICoRSA: Responsible research and innovation – new definitions and how researchers play a part
- Marcel Swart, Young Academy of Europe: (Re)presenting the academic society by young leaders
- Tommi Himberg, Nuorten Tiedeakatemia: Changing ways of societal impact for young academics
- Ieva Silina, Eurodoc: Personal branding in science
- Chair: Päivi Tikka, Council of Finnish Foundations
14.00 – 15.00 Lunch
Main building D10 A
15.00 – 16.30 Session VI: Panel discussion ”Research career – a living dream?”
- Panelists: Fabienne Gautier – EC; Alexander Hasgall – EUA-CDE; Gareth O’Neill – Eurodoc; Hannele Lahtinen – Academy of Finland/ERC; Pirjo Nikander – UTA; Anu Helkkula — Hanken School of Economics
- Chair: Johanna Moisio, General Manager of FUURT
16.30 – 17.00 Closing session